Ever tried to access the internet and instead of seeing a search engine’s window you see the error message, “DNS Server is Not Responding”? For many people, such a message sounds like a foreign language, have no solution, and most do not know what a DNS is in the first place. When a Domain Name Server (DNS) is not responding, you will not be able to access the internet. This problem can be solved by following easy steps. First, let us look at why a DNS would have an issue.
Some sites may be blocked so that your computer is not able to access them. Computer firewalls are installed for security purposes and to keep off unauthorized access. To fix this, you need to wait for the site’s back end to rectify it.
Website hosting issues
Issues from website hosting may cause the following error messages:
DNS server not responding
This is one of the most common errors. It could be your iPad server not responding, a temporary dns problem or a laptop dns error. A DNS may stop responding due to some temporary internal down issues by the computer. The problem is temporary, and everything gets back to normal after some time.
DNS server not found
You might get a DNS server unavailable/not found message if the link has expired or the host of the website has deleted it together with all its database.
DNS server not available
In such cases, the server is completely down, and the hosting company no longer offers hosting services and there is no possibilites to fix dns server issues.
DNS server not working
In some cases, the DNS server in your computer stops working or is unavailable. Here the DNS server may be corrupt hence preventing you from accessing the internet.
There are primary ways of fixing a DNS error issue. First of all, you need to check if the internet is working on another device. If so, then the problem is with the computer. However, if the internet is not connecting to another device as well, you need to check your router or ISP.
The other thing that you need to check is if opening the same web page on a different browser helps. If it does, check the proxy settings of the browser with the problem. If nothing changes, here is what you can do to solve the error problem on different devices.
How to fix the DNS error on Windows OS
If you are asking how to solve dns problem in computer with Windows, you have to know that it might be the easiest way to resolve these issues.
- On the system tray, click the computer icon and then open the network and sharing centre. You can as well get here by clicking the start menu then the control panel then the network and sharing centre.
- Go to ‘Change Adapter Settings’ then right-click on the Local Area Network and select ‘Properties.’
- Here, choose internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Select properties and change the DNS address.
- To do so, click on ‘Use the following DNS server addresses’ and enter 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred DNS Server field.
- In the Alternate DNS Server field, enter 220.127.116.11
- Tick the ‘Validate settings upon exit’ box and click OK hence fixing the problem.
If you have followed these steps, you might have resolved the temporary dns problem. If your dns server keeps not responding, try to restart your computer.
How to fix a DNS server problem in macOS
If you have a mac dns problem, follow these steps and you might be able to resolve it.
- Go to Apple menu and select ‘System Preferences.’
- Double click the network icon and go to the ‘TCP/IP’ tab
- You will see an option to change DNS settings
- In the DNS server box, enter the appropriate DNS server details and click on ‘Apply Now.’ By doing so, you will have applied the settings hence solving the problem. However, make sure you restart the system to make sure the changes are applied.
In order to resolve this issue, you shall restart your computer to avoid laptop dns error.
How to fix a DNS issue for on Android phones
In most cases, the DNS settings you use are the default once installed by the phone’s brand company. It is however not advisable to keep it that way. This is because default settings are usually on average and sometimes you may want to increase speed on your internet access.
There are available applications on Android phones or on play store that will help you change DNS settings. Other sources may apply, but it is not recommended since some might be a disguised malware. Make sure you root your phone as well to be able to change the DNS settings on your phone.
Changing DNS settings vary with different software. For some, you will be able to change server details for Wi-Fi alone while others will allow you to adjust for both Wi-Fi and data connection. Recommended applications include DNS Changer and DNSet.
How to solve a DNS issue in iOS
For the IOS users, you might have crossed the path of dns errors.
- Go to settings and switch on Wi-Fi if it is switched off.
- Choose a Wi-Fi network
- Look for ‘i’ letter in a circle and click on it
- Next to the DNS label, tap ‘Text field.’
- Enter the DNS address here which will be saved automatically.
- Once you have done so, exit settings and you will be good to go.
Following the above guidelines will help you resolve the DNS issue with no hitches. For an Android phone, if you want to retain the default settings, you can do so. Most of the time maintaining the default settings will help you save on data if you are not in a Wi-Fi connected area. All in all, make sure you are comfortable with your internet speed and connections on your devices.